Gas Safety Issues

£48,000 fine after landlords failed to arrange inspections

Two landlord companies have been fined for gas safety breaches at a block of privately rented flats in Hampstead, north London. Valbond Management and sister company Holbond were prosecuted by the HSE after they failed to arrange annual gas safety checks.

Westminster Magistrates’ Court was told that a flue joint had come apart in a ceiling void at one flat, managed by Valbond, and that products of combustion could have been escaping for up to five years.

Neither company had arranged annual gas safety inspections for the properties, and landlord gas safety records had not been issued.


Daubhill landlords fined after Little Lever tenants ‘poisoned’ by carbon monoxide

A FOUR-month-old baby and his parents were rushed to hospital after they suffered carbon monoxide poisoning in their Little Lever house, a court heard.

The family had been ill for months after their landlords failed to check all of the gas appliances at the property in Bowness Road.


Technical Bulletin 055 – Duties of Landlords

Date issued: 11 January 2016

Effective maintenance

A safety check on relevant gas fittings, completed within 12 months, is not the only legally required duty on landlords to be completed, ie, landlords’ own appliances. There should also be effective ongoing maintenance of appliances owned by the landlord, which is a programme of regular inspections, eg, servicing.

This would normally be a full service of all landlords’ appliances, along with a visual inspection of the rest of the installation and a recommended gas tightness test.


Landlord fined for Gas Safety Record failings

Date: 8 September 2015

A landlord has been fined for failing to have a valid Gas Safety Record in place for five tenants of his properties.

Medway Magistrates’ Court heard how as part of a joint intervention between HSE and Medway Council Housing Officers in March 2014, statements were taken from various tenants, of the seven, only one was found to have a valid Landlord Gas Safety Record in place.

Nitin King, of Bredgar House, Primrose Lane, Bredgar, Sittingbourne was fined a total of £32,000, and ordered to pay £4,560 in costs after pleading guilty to 4 charges of breaches to Regulation 36(3) of the Gas Safety Installation and Use Regulations 1998.


Landlord prosecuted over carbon monoxide risk

Date: 3 September 2015

A mother and her young son were put at risk of suffering carbon monoxide poisoning for seven years at their home in Ashton-under-Lyne, a court has heard.

The woman’s landlord, Rent4U Ltd, of Manchester, was prosecuted by the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) after an inspection of the gas boiler at her home found it was in a condition classified as ‘immediately dangerous’.

Trafford Magistrates’ Court heard that the firm failed to arrange an annual gas safety check at the terraced house on Marlborough Street between 2007 and 2014.

The court was told that Rent4U had previously been served with two Improvement Notices by HSE in 2013 after failing to arrange annual gas safety checks at two other properties.

Rent4U Ltd, of Christie Way, Christie Fields, Manchester, was fined £4,000 and ordered to pay £7,000 in prosecution costs after pleading guilty to two breaches of the Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations 1998.

Call 01457 810101 or 07747 028209 for a no-obligation quote

The areas we service include: Saddleworth - Delph, Denshaw, Diggle, Dobcross, Grasscroft, Greenfield, Grotton, Lydgate, Uppermill - Glossop, Holmfirth, Lees, Mossley, Shaw, Stalybridge

accreditations